March 29, 2013

The gospel changes lives..........

Hola Familia!
I just love you all so much!  It sounds like things are going so well for you.  I'm so proud of all of you and what you're doing.  You're great!  And I am so excited for Cameron!!  I got a letter from him this week and he told me everything.  I'm so proud of you, Cam.  I know this will be the best decision you have ever made in your life.  Not that it's easy, but it's so worth it.  He told me he wanted to surprise you so that I shouldn't say anything, but I'm glad you know.  That was way to big of a secret to keep!
It's exciting to hear about all the people from our stake that are leaving on missions.  The Lord truly is furthering His work.  And I am oh so glad I didn't get called to Provo.  
We've had a bit of an interesting week.  I'm pretty sure I say that just about every week.  We had a lot of ups and downs, and a lot more downs than normal.  A lot of things fell through, and I think Satan was working really hard on us so that we would be discouraged and not want to work.  But we persevered and pushed through it.  We've had some really neat experiences and some heartbreak as well.  This week we've been stopping by this family that the Elders found for us and every time something has been up.  The first time the mom, Maritza was on the phone with Honduras and couldn't really see us.  Then the next time she wasn't home and only the husband was home.  He told us to come back, but no one was there.  And then the next time the repair guy was  there so they were busy then too.  But she told us to come back on Saturday and she promised that she would be there.  And she was!  We had the most amazing first lesson that I've ever experienced.  Her house was clean and quiet and she listened and asked questions and the spirit was really tangible.  Especially after the First Vision.  We just paused and felt the Spirit in the room.  After a little bit of silence we asked her if she thought that was possible.  That Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ would appear to a 14 year old boy.  She said that of course it was, because nothing is impossible for God.  She loved what we taught about prophets and about how we have the Gospel of Jesus Christ and how it blesses families.  She wants so badly to do what is right and she wants to be able to raise her kids so that they know what is right too.  And she told us that she felt something special while we were talking and we were able to testify so strongly of the Spirit.  I loved that lesson.
And on to the heartbreak.  We stopped by the Castaneda house yesterday morning to invite Junior to church.  We had three amazing lessons with him this week, and he's really been progressing.  The Spirit is always so strong in the lessons we have and it's amazing.  And Junior feels it too.  He always talks about how he feels something in his heart and we always talk about how that's the Holy Ghost testifying of truth.  On Thursday night we also taught him some piano.  He knows how to play and he plays really well, really ,really well.  He just can't read music.  So he asked us if we could teach him.  We taught him some notes and practiced some things.  We also talked about taking piano lessons and I was telling them that I did not want to learn at first but that you made me.  And then I learned to love it.  Then Junior said that he begged his mom his whole life to put him in music classes and she never did.  I felt like the worst person in the entire world.  But I'm so thankful that you were insistent and that I learned how to play and I'm glad that we have this opportunity to be able to serve him by teaching him music.  I was wondering if maybe you could send some of the beginning piano books.  That would be really helpful.  Probably the level one will be good.  So back to the story: So he asked if I would play. And I played I am a Child of God and Hna Wallis and Hna Castaneda and the kids all sang.  It was such a special experience.  Our Heavenly Father loves us so much, and that love is so strong, especially as expressed through music.  Later Hna Castaneda told us that Junior told her that he needed to learn that song.  That he loved it and he felt something so special about it and he just wants to be able to play it so bad.  Fast forward to Sunday:  We went over to their house to invite Junior to church, and we had a repeat of last Sunday, but worse.  The Spirit was not there and Junior was different.  He didn't want to have anything to do with us.  And guess who else was there.  Jorge and Juan.  I think Junior is so worried about being made fun of by his cousins for doing "church stuff" that he just closes up and pushes us away.  It's heartbreaking, especially because we've had so many spiritual experiences with him.  At this point we really don't know what to do other than to be patient and keep trying.  He has so much potential and it's the worst feeling in the world to see that he isn't realizing it.
On a happier note though, Reyna came to church yesterday.  And she has a baptismal date for April 6th!  We invited her to be baptized that day and she said she would pray about it and let us know.  And then this week she told us that she's pretty sure that's what she wants to do!  She has so many trials but she has been so much happier the last few weeks than she was when we first met her.  The gospel changes lives.  Of that I have no doubt.  And as we accept it, that's when we find true happiness and peace amid the trials.  
We had more gross food this week:  Menudo.  Yep.  Intestine soup.  I just want to know how our tummies can digest something that was made to withstand stomach acid.  It's so yucky.
Other good news:  We have companionship exchanges this week and I'm going to Spring Lake with Hna Stewart!  I'm so excited to see her! Well family, that's about all I have for this week.  I love you so much and I'm so thankful for you.  Keep working hard and being good and the Lord will bless you. 
xoxo
Hermana Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment