February 21, 2013

AN INFINITE ATONEMENT

Hola Familia!
I just love you so much!  It sounds like you are doing so well.  Mom, I'm so proud of you and so excited for your interviews.  I'll be praying for you and I know that you'll do awesome because you are awesome.  I got some pictures of Cam but no video.  That's okay though, I don't really have time to watch it.  I'll just take your word for it that it was good.  Good job, Cam!  And yes I did get Kelley's letter.  Thank you so much Kelley!  That was way too nice of you!  We used some of it to buy Uno to play on Pday.  And Kel, I love getting your letters.  I'm sorry I'm not better at writing them back, but they are seriously the best part of my week when I get them.  You are so awesome and I love hearing all about your life.  I also got the shampoo, but not the conditioner yet.  Someone in my district had to stop by the office and saw a package for me.  I guess the conditioner will have to wait.  That's okay though, I'm not completely out of shampoo yet.  If you haven't sent that box yet, could you add the white downeast undershirt that I have?  Thank you so much for doing that for me, I really appreciate it.  You are the best.
This week has been a roller coaster for me.  As a missionary I think I've experienced every emotion possible on the spectrum.  Hermana Wallis and I have been working really hard and we're seeing little miracles every day.  Recognizing the hand of the Lord in our lives is so important.  He is so involved and He loves us so much.  This week I've been studying a lot about the Atonement and about repentance and I'm so far from even being close to understanding everything, but I did learn something that kind of has to do about what you were saying. In Alma 34 it talks a lot about the necessity of an infinite and eternal atonement and about justice and mercy.  In verse 12 it talks about "an infinite atonement that will suffice for the sins of the world."  I've been thinking a lot about that.  Especially about the word suffice.  It's very similar to the word sufficient, which means enough.  And I've come to realize that this scripture is true.  The atonement of Jesus Christ is sufficient.  If we allow it be.  We do not have to rely on our own merits, because they aren't enough.  They never will be.  But when we rely on the Jesus Christ, we don't have to do it for ourselves.  We can lay any sin and weakness and His feet and he will lift us up.  And this is what the gospel is all about.  People need to know about the saving and healing power of the atonement.  This is why we're missionaries.  Because the gospel gives us access to the atonement, which is sufficient.  
We went to the temple for Pday with our district, it's open on Mondays when it's a holiday.  It was really special.  I love the temple.  It is the house of the Lord and His presence can be felt.  I'm so glad that we have temples to give us perspective on our lives.  We have such a great purpose to accomplish here on the earth.  I've really needed to feel peace, and the temple was just what I needed.  
Jean Paul got confirmed on Sunday and it was so special.  He has so much support from his family and from the ward and I know that Heavenly Father has great things in store for him.  I'm so thankful that Heavenly Father has allowed me to be a tiny process of his conversion process.  It's the best feeling in the world.  
At district meeting today we talked a lot about the Book of Mormon.  Family, the Book of Mormon is true.  It was written for us and we need to read it and understand it and apply it.  I love this book.  I've started rereading it and I hope that you'll join me!  I think almost all of us in our district are doing this and we're asking our families to be a part of it.  I know getting together for family scripture study is never the most fun thing in the world, but it's so important.  There is a power that comes from reading the Book of Mormon that will bless us in more ways that we can even recognize.  It was written for us.  And that makes it special.
I love this work and I love the Lord.  And I'm so thankful that our family can be together forever.  I love you all so much.  
xoxo 
Hermana SimpsonInline image 1
I know this looks like a temple date...It's not.  You can tell by the awkward gap between the hermanas and elders.  Being a missionary is so incomodo sometimes.  We can't even take a normal picture.  Oh well.  The other elders in our district had already left with the member that they went with.  And Elder Rivera's eyes are closed.  Oops.  It was super good session though and I'm so glad we got to go.  This temple is amazing!!!
                                                                 Hermana Wallis and I

 

No comments:

Post a Comment